Saturday, November 17, 2012

If the pants fit...

In our last post we discussed reasons why your scale may not be reflecting changes you are trying to achieve.  So in this post, we're going to take that conversation a little further.  And chat about why sometimes it's better to ignore the scale.  And as always, let me explain myself with some previous experience.

I have a pair of jeans that fit.  They haven't always fit well.  But they fit.  They have never been distastefully tight or saggy.  But they haven't exactly been the most comfortable pair of pants that I own.  These are my "baseline" clothes.  I also have a couple shirts that were a little snug as well.  For the first couple of weeks, I didn't see much of a change to my "scale weight" even though I was taking in half the calories that I was used to on average, and I was hitting the gym 3 to 4 times a week.  However, after a few days of no squeezing into these jeans.  I began to notice a change.  Essentially, I would come home Monday through Thursday and change out of my work Khaki pants and into my gym shorts and go workout.  Therefore, leaving me wearing my jeans on Friday nights when we would go to our local High School Football games.  The second Friday that I wore my jeans I noticed I was able to not only get in them easier with less work, but I was also getting comfortable wearing them.  The big indicator that my body was changing was a few weeks ago (after seeing the scale budge a few pounds less), I was able to actually pull the waist of my jeans away from my body about an inch without any trouble.

I said all of that to say this.  You may be focusing way too much on the scale.  I used to weigh obsessively every day, now I weigh once a week.  Maybe twice a week if I'm just curious. I have lost a little better than 10 pounds and am able to start seeing the changes in the mirror.  This helps keep me away from the scale, even though it took a lot of hard work to get to that point.  And I am still a long way off from my goal.  But seeing the physical changes makes for a great substitute to seeing the scale change.

After all, we diet and workout to feel good and look good.  The weight thing should fall into place if you are doing proper nutrition and exercise.  Sometimes we just need to relax and press on with our progress and not let the scale run our lives.  Trust me, I've been there.

And once you find you can slide into that pair of pants or that favorite shirt without any stretch or effort, that feeling to me is much greater than hitting a particular weight goal.  Not to say I don't get happy when I loose a pound of two (after all I am working toward a goal weight).  But my point is, with the right nutrition and amount of exercise the weight loss will come.  You just need to stay encouraged enough to stick with it.  You will get there eventually.

As for me, right now I am 15 pounds lighter than I have been in 8 years.  Even though I am still 56 pounds away from my first goal, I am satisfied with how things are going.  After all, we have nothing but time.  I doubt many of us have to hit a specific weight by a certain date.  So remember, take your time and do it right.  A rule of thumb I have been living by is easy come, easy go.  These dangerous crash diets will get you into the clothes you want and will probably help you get to a certain weight.  But you are hurting your body with the drastic loss and crash diet after effects and your chances of gaining that weight back are extremely high as these crash diets and fads do not exact a "lifestyle change".  So once you get to you goal, you stop using them and in no time you are back where you started.

So my advice to you, is if you are going to strive towards a weight loss or fitness goal.  Do it the right (healthy) way.  And I would encourage you to go into your closet and find that pair of pants or a shirt that are a little snug to fit.  Make a point of trying them on once every couple weeks or so.  I guarantee if you're doing it right, you'll see a difference without even looking at the scale.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes |