Friday, November 16, 2012

A Dieting Nightmare: Plateau's

You know it's true.  You go all week religiously counting every calorie you put into your mouth, you go to the gym every day and hit the cardio hard.  You maybe even look at yourself in the mirror and can see slight changes in your figure or body shape.  But then you go and hop on the scale to weigh in... And your weight hasn't changed.  Not even budged or maybe in some cases you've even gained a pound or two.  Nothing can be as discouraging to someone trying to loose weight than not seeing that number on the scale go down.

Trust me, I've been there.  In the past years when I have attempted loosing some weight, this has always killed my motivation and ended up with me stopping my attempts at getting into shape.  Some people call this "hitting a wall" or "hitting a plateau" or even "stalling out".  If you have ever attempted a serious weight loss where you are changing your diet and workout habits you may have hit something like this before.

Personally, I know that a lot of people find this to be a very hard thing to work through.  I've been there.  A few years ago I attempted to loose some weight.  I would go to the gym and walk on the treadmill for half an hour (probably not break a sweat), maybe lift a few dumbbells and call it a night.  On the way home, we would hit a drive-thru to eat dinner since we didn't eat before going to the gym.  Usually this was some form of cheeseburger or other fastfood.  And I would wonder why I didn't see a change on the scale (or in my body).  But I felt good about myself because I was going to the gym several times a week.  I fell into the "Workout Trap".  Justifying a bad diet for the fact that I was "at least doing something good for myself".  This was a self induced issue.  And eventually it led to my gym visits stopping altogether.

Before we move on to the second cause of plateaus, let me say first and foremost that loosing weight isn't the same for everybody.  One person may have a bigger loses or gains than someone else.  As everyone's body is different, and every workout routine is different, etc.  But even so, there is NO MAGICAL formula to loosing weight.  Regardless of what this month's weight loss fad is, there is one simple rule to remember.  And it has been working for me.  It is hard work and dedication.  That's it.  You have to watch what you take in, and be sure you can burn more than what you take in.  That's it.  But the trick is doing it, while being healthy.  Sure, there are bad ways to achieving this goal.  And I am not condoning these whatsoever.  Things like crash dieting, starving, etc. are all unhealthy practices.  Stay away from them.  Regardless of how long you feel you have been in a plateau state.  Remember, dangerous DOES NOT EQUAL healthy.

Now moving on, some people just hit a plateau.  End of story.  The body will only go so far.  Doing the same workout routine for months on end may land you in a plateau.  So how do you shake it or get out of it?  Try spicing up the routine.  If you go to the gym twice a week, and do something similar to:
- 30 minutes of treadmill
- 20 minutes of Elliptical Training
- Dumbbell Work for half an hour

Why not spice it up by lifting a heavier weight for less reps or vice-versa.  Or scrap the treadmill for the stationary bike for a few gym visits.  And see if a change like that might knock you out of the plateau.  You might even want to take a day just to splurge from your diet.  I'm not saying go crazy.  But treat yourself to something you have been keeping from your diet.  I have had weeks were one simple splurge day has been enough to budge the scale at the end of the week from weeks long stalling out.

If you're really concerned about stalling out.  Visit your family doctor, and talk to them.  There may be medical reasons why you are experiencing the plateau.  As always, any drastic weight loss plan should be discussed with your doctor BEFORE starting it.  It's better to be safe and healthy than dead on a treadmill.

And remember even though you may not see a change on the scale that doesn't mean nothing is changing.  Sometimes the way a pair of pants fit may be a better way to measuring your progress than watching the scale.  Look for more on this in my next post!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes |